Thursday, June 20, 2013

Give your best ...

So, my house is for sale.  It's not sold yet.  YET.  But, I am in the process of cleaning out the attic - so I'll be ready.  Finished day 4 and am only about half-way done.  I miss the days when I could accomplish so much more in only a fraction of the time.  And, still have energy to do other stuff.  Today, I feel grateful that I am making it as far as I am each day, and still able to do. 

Yesterday was  huge success.  I got through about 48 boxes/bags of a variety of clothing, school supplies, housewares, linens and what felt like a never ending number of toys.  Oh, the toys!  But came to terms with it and got it done.  I feel really good about our change of direction for all the 'stuff' we were getting rid of, too.  Originally, I planned on taking quite a bit of it to a local consignment store.  Why not make back a little of what it all cost, right?  But, as I started going through it, I realized that there was an awful lot.  So, I started dividing it up into throw out, donate and sell.  Makes sense, right? 

Except, I started thinking about my criteria for selling it.  Normally, it's easy.  I pick through and choose the best of the best and drop it off, pick up some bucks a few weeks later and all is well.  The donate pile is still pretty good stuff, but not 'the best'.  And, it hit me, why not?  Okay, maybe because I'm not independently wealthy.  I usually use the money to buy more stuff for the kids or house.  Cool.  And, I am sure I will again.  But, for some reason this time, I needed to stop and do it differently.  Why?  Simple.  It just hit me that the stuff I was going to sell, needed to go to people who needed it, wanted it, whatever, but maybe weren't able to pay quite as much.  And, don't they deserve the best of what I have to offer?  Not the second best?  It just felt very necessary that I needed to bless others, joyfully and without holding back, and not expect any gain from it. 

I realized that I already have been blessed by being able to buy it.  In fact, by being able to buy more than I really need.  Enough that I end up with all of it piled up in my attic, in fact.  So, I need it to bless someone else.  Does that make sense?  It feels right.  (Don't you love that phrase??  ugh).  And, hubs agreed completely!  In fact, after the first 13 bags I took on Tuesday, he took 18 more plus a few boxes today.  He said it absolutely felt right to him.

So, that part of yesterday went well.  I'm greatly at peace about it, and that helps.  The less stress, the less drama, the less worry, the better the day.  Hm... seems I've read something about that before ....


Philippians 4:6-7 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Ahh, yes!  Or as Corrie Ten Boom put it: "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength."

So, the worry is gone.  Gladly, much of the pain is, as well.  Got through about 35 boxes today, had some papers and photos to go through.  Found some I thought I had lost, etc.  So, not so much in volume, but so many memories found and shared with the kids and hubs. 

Chills and such are a thing of the past, for now, too.  I sincerely hope that that particular symptom doesn't make itself common.  That was intense coldness and very difficult to work through.  Today was the normal pains, stiffness, locking up of joints (though not as bad as it could have been), and restless legs.  Must remember to walk around more tomorrow!!  After a long soak in the whirlpool tub and a chance to relax tonight, I do feel better.  Normal dosages of Aleve today, no doubling up.  And, although I'm very tired and moderately sore all over, it's manageble. 


That rates as a successful day!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment